SCOPE: This position is responsible for the enforcement of animal control ordinances.
REQUIRED HOURS OF AVAILABILITY:
Monday – Friday 7:00am - 3:30pm
On-call availability (includes nights and weekends)
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES PERFORMED:
• Receives complaints from rural county residents.
• Captures and transports stray, suspected rabid, and injured animals.
• Captures and manages aggressive animals.
• Delivers animals to contracted veterinarians.
• Investigates bite reports; ensures animal is secured in quarantine.
• Investigates cruelty or neglect complaints.
• Maintains current and accurate documentation of completed work on appropriate forms.
• Maintains assigned vehicle.
• Assists county law enforcement with animal related cases.
• Keeps immediate supervisor and designated others fully and accurately informed concerning work progress, including present and potential work problems and suggestions for new or improved ways of addressing such problems.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS:
• Knowledge of local ordinances, laws and regulations governing domestic animals.
• Knowledge of animal behavior and animal control tools, techniques, and procedures.
• Knowledge of infectious disease characteristics and control.
• Knowledge of county and department regulations, policies and procedures.
• Knowledge of county geography and roads.
• Knowledge of the chemicals used in the disinfection of animal kennels.
• Knowledge of traffic hazards, safety principles, rules, regulations and speed limits.
• Ability to resolve problems and handle complaints from citizens concerning animal control;
• Skill in the trapping and transportation of animals.
An employee in this position is subject to random drug/alcohol testing.
Applicants should apply at the Alabama State Employment Office or the Lee County Commission Office Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM. Previous applicants should reapply.